If you run Windows on your computer, and you are running out of free disk space, Windows will start giving you a low disk space warning.
If you click on it, the Disk Cleanup Wizard will start. When you have 200 megabytes of free disk space left, you will receive the low disk space warning for 10 seconds, once per session. When free disk space reaches 80 megabytes, you will receive the low disk space warning for 30 seconds, every four hours, twice per session. Finally, when there are only 50 megabytes left on your hard disk, you will receive the low disk space warning for 30 seconds, every five minutes, until you clean up your hard disk so it has at least 50 megabytes free.
You can try disk space utilities, like ActiveSMART to free up more free space on your hard drive, delete unneeded files and track hard drive health.
Download ActiveSMART with Disk Space Analyzer
If you start receiving this warning, before you decide to go and buy a new hard drive, you may want to make sure your current drive is indeed full. Most new computers come with drives that are partitioned into smaller pieces. If you are not sure your computer is operating in this manner, you can check this out:
– right-click on the My Computer icon;
– select Manage;
– select Disk Management.
If you see a disk with an unallocated space there, you don’t need to buy a new hard drive yet. Instead, format your unallocated hard drive space – right-click on it, choose a drive letter, and let the Wizard do the rest.
Now you have a second hard drive in the My Computer window. Move some large files such as videos there from the first one, and the low disk space warning will not bother you anymore.
1. Open the Registry Editor by clicking on Start -> Run and running REGEDIT.
2. Navigate to the following registry location:
3. Right-click in the blank area of the right-hand pane of the Registry Editor and create a new DWORD Value by selecting New -> DWORD Value.
4. Name this new DWORD Value NoLowDiscSpaceChecks
5. Double-click on the new DWORD value and assign it a value of 1.
6. Close the Registry Editor and restart the computer.
Tags: disk space warning, low disk space